Sunday, September 17, 2006

Another Breakthrough.....

....in discovering more ancestors. Following on from a post by our own Mayoress of Jelly Town (aka Rach), thought that I'd say that I too have been researching my ancestors for the last 14 months. I belong to 2 sites, Genes Reunited and Ancestry and although I made great strides in the first 6 months, it has been the last 3 months that I have been reaping the benefits! 8-)

I now have contacts with various people, both in this country as well as in Australia and now have over 550 people in my family tree!!!! I have to say that the people I have contacted, are all for my Dad's side of the family! It seems as though my Mum's side are shy, or just hiding from me!!!!!!! LOL It never fails to amaze me how they changed their names from census to census! My great-grandmother was born Rosina, and naturally was called Rosie as a child and then Rose as an adult. Seems so obvious now, but was a real pain when I was trying to locate her! Then there is Henry, who was a Hulme, but for some reason on his marriage certificate he was a Hume! Took me ages to find that one! LOL But I guess one of the best was my Mum's Grandmother - Lena, except that she was actually called Madeline! Families eh, who'd have them!!!!! 8-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracie H said...

All this talk of tracing ancestors has now got me bitten ..off to check out your links and maybe find a few lost rellies of my own.
Txx

11:10 am  
Blogger Kelly said...

wow thats fab Allie getting all them names ive yet to start on mine lol

12:15 pm  
Blogger Debs said...

WOW Allie think you should give a few pointers in how to start tracing our ancestors LOL.

PS you've been tagged - see my blog for the question!

8:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home